Free tafe for Year 12 graduates
Free training is available to Year 12 graduates in high priority vocational qualifications, apprenticeships and traineeships.
High priority qualifications provide training in the skills employers and industry need most.
To find out more on the courses available visit the Queensland Skills Gateway.
You can access free tafe if you:
- have completed Year 12 in Queensland and hold a Senior Statement issued by the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority or equivalent certification
- enrol and start an apprenticeship, traineeship or training, with an approved training provider in a high priority qualification by the end of the calendar year following completion of Year 12
- permanently reside in Queensland.
Further eligibility rules also apply.
What training is available?
You can choose from over 160 qualifications. These qualifications align to jobs and occupations in more than 30 different industry sectors.
Qualifications that offer free training are listed on the Queensland Skills Gateway.
Who are the approved training providers?
To receive the subsidy make sure your training provider is a Skills Assure supplier (a government-approved training provider).
You can check this by finding a provider on the Queensland Skills Gateway:
- enter the provider’s name or location
- click ‘Find a training provider’.
- view the search results at the bottom of the page—if they are an approved provider, they will be listed as ‘Funded’.
How much will I have to pay?
You won’t have to pay any tuition fees but you may have to cover other costs associated with your training (e.g. textbooks).
How do I start training?
You can only access the subsidy once, and it may mean you cannot receive further training subsidies from the Queensland Government, so it’s important you choose the right qualification for you.
Get tips and advice to help you choose the right qualification.
For vocational qualifications
To access free tafe for Year 12 graduates you need to:
- select a qualification using the Queensland Skills Gateway
- choose a training provider using the 'Free training Yr 12 grads' refined search filter on the Queensland Skills Gateway (click on 'View Providers' in the course search results to view a list of providers that offer the course)
For apprenticeships and traineeships
Follow these steps to getting started, if you want to begin a high priority qualification through an apprenticeship or traineeship.
Frequently asked questions about the subsidy are also available.
For training information phone 1300 369 935 or email email@example.com.
For apprenticeships and traineeships information phone 1800 210 210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.