Career advisers can help you find a career that suits your skills. They are also known as career counsellors, coaches or practitioners.
Find a career adviser
You can find career advice and help through many of the same channels that you would use to find a job, including:
- career websites—many of the bigger career websites also give you advice on how to find career coaches or counsellors, as well as tips on what to look for to suit your needs
- Yellow Pages, online searches and local newspapers.
There are professional associations for career advisers in Australia. The Career Development Association of Australia (CDAA) is the largest association of qualified career advisers. Their members work in various locations, including government agencies and private practices.
Find a registered CDAA career adviser.
Advice for students
If you're still in school, guidance officers or counsellors can provide advice about how to choose and plan your career.
Read more about guidance and career counselling for school students.
The My future, My choice program consists of a workbook and series of videos to assist young people to prepare for employment from getting ready for a job interview to understanding the job landscape.
Many TAFE Queensland institutes have staff to help you find guidance officers and career counsellors.
Most Queensland universities offer career advice, workshops and counselling services to help their students, including:
- Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bond University
- Central Queensland University (CQU)
- Griffith University
- James Cook University (JCU)
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT)
- Southern Cross University (SCU)
- University of Queensland (UQ)
- University of Southern Queensland (USQ)
- University of the Sunshine Coast (USC).
People with disability
People with disability can contact a JobAccess Adviser on 1800 464 800 for free and confidential career advice.
Private recruitment agencies
Many private recruitment agencies offer career advice and help with your career development.
Search the Yellow Pages to find a recruitment agency near you.